One of our most popular cosmetic dental services.
We’ve noticed that as people start taking better care of their teeth through regular hygiene visits, brushing and flossing, they become interested in how they can improve the appearance of their smile. Teeth whitening is a cost effective and simple solution doing just that.
Teeth whitening involves bleaching teeth. It is a treatment solution that helps to address the staining and discolouration from:
- Trauma and root canal therapy
- Red wine, coffee, tea and dark soft drinks
- Synthetic and natural colourings in certain foods, such as beetroot and soy sauce
- Certain antibiotics
Before deciding on the best treatment for you, we will firstly complete an assessment of your teeth and oral health generally.
This ensures issues such as sensitivity, leaking old fillings, holes or tooth decay would not contribute to any adverse effects from treatment.
We then present the various options available, with these including take home, in-clinic, and a combination of the two.
Internal bleaching for teeth that have undergone root canal therapy is also available.
- Applied at home
- Uses a custom-made tray (similar to a mouthguard)
- Convenient and simple to use
- Completed over a period of 2 - 3 weeks
- Can be reapplied by yourself at home in the future if required
- Applied by the dentist / hygienist
- Uses a safe, powerful bleaching solution
- Performed at the clinic
- Requires 1 visit and gives an immediate result
Take home + in-clinic
- Combines the two approaches
- In-clinic is followed by treatment at home
- Has the longest lasting effect, benefiting from both immediate improvement from in-chair treatment and lasting results from the take home treatment
Whitening treatment works wonderfully for natural teeth, however it does not whiten restorations, fillings, crowns or veneers.
If you do have whitening treatment, it may become necessary to replace these to ensure there is a consistent colour across your teeth.
What about internal bleaching?
For teeth that have undergone root canal treatment, there is the option of internal bleaching. This treatment is used for individual teeth and involves the dentist placing bleach inside the tooth. When we talk to you about your options, we would be able to advise if this is a suitable treatment for you.
Our dentists are happy to talk to you about whitening and how it can work for you. We love seeing the transformation that occurs within our patients and it would be great to see it work for you too.